It’s quite difficult to completely change your everyday routine and move towards 100% green consumption all at once. However, by changing one small part of your lifestyle and consumption habits at a time, you can contribute to making a huge, long-term change. Start with something small but meaningful, like your beauty routine, and make an effort to use only natural and eco-friendly products wherever possible. You’ll find that these small changes will help foster a sustainable lifestyle and change your attitude towards consumption, not to mention that your skin and hair will appreciate the tender loving care.
To get you started on the right path, try these five tips to make your beauty routine more eco-friendly.
1. Mineral makeup
Wherever possible, avoid cheap and generic makeup brands; opt for something from eco-friendly speciality stores like Biome, who stock 100% natural cosmetics and mineral makeup ranges from leading brands. Use a mineral makeup brand that is high quality, safe, not tested on animals and made in Australia from natural ingredients. Many options are available online and in stores, so do your research, read labels and think twice before purchasing standard, supermarket makeup next time your supply is running low.
2. Organic skincare
Much like makeup, many organic skincare products are available that are made according to the Australian organic standard, which is recognised as one of the most stringent in the world. A cosmetic product that received the Australian Certified Organic Stamp must contain 95% certified organic ingredients, and the remaining 5% must be natural. You would be surprised at the amount of chemicals that you put on your face every day. Choose an organic skincare product that suits your skin and keep your skin free of harmful chemicals. Use an organic skincare range to cleanse and tone your face and neck morning and night, before you put on your makeup and when removing it.
3. Natural soaps
Whether it is your basin soap or the shower gel you use daily, it’s not hard to find a product that you and your skin will love. Natural soaps are becoming quite popular on the green beauty scene, so look to specialty stores who can offer you advice on which brands are best suited to your skin. Natural soap comes as bars, lotions and many different bath products.
4. Hair treatments
Next time your shampoo and conditioner runs out, replace them with a natural and organic alternative that is made from plants not petrochemicals. It is also a good idea to consider hair treatments that are free from all chemicals, preservatives and synthetic fragrances if you really want to look after the environment and your hair. It may cost you a little bit more initially, but you’ll find quality eco products will make a big different to your hair.
5. Personal Hygiene
Your beauty routine stretches beyond your face and hair to include your whole body. Always seek the most natural, chemical-free personal hygiene products, and you’ll be surprised at the difference they can make. Did you know there are green alternatives for female sanitary products, deodorant, exfoliation products, body scrubs and nail polishes? You can always choose a greener option!
By replacing each of these five products with a greener option as your current supply runs out, you will eventually find yourself using a host of products that are good for the earth and your body. Your beauty routine will benefit from using natural, toxin-free products. And, once you have settled into a routine, you will be able to add more eco-friendly products to use in another part of your lifestyle.
Images from Biome.com.au