Keeping the house clean is important in protecting the health of family members. Two main areas in the house that require special attention are the kitchen and bathroom. Kitchens are kept clean on a daily basis to prevent germs and bacteria from contaminating our food. Unfortunately, the bathroom doesn’t get as much attention as the kitchen when it comes to cleanliness. With personal hygiene being an important component of one’s health and well being, people should start paying attention to their bathroom. Here are a few ideas on how you can keep a clean and beautiful bathroom in your home.
1. Rinse and Clean as You Go. Molds, mildew, scum, and stains have no place in a beautiful bathroom. To prevent dirt and germs build-up in your bathroom, encourage family members to do a bit of cleaning after use. Simply rinse off soap scum in the tub or shower stall by spraying water in the walls and floor after taking a bath. Check floor, sink, and counter for spittle or spills and wipe it off immediately before leaving the bathroom.
2. Keep it Dry and Bright. Molds and mildew thrive in dank and dark places so make sure that drains are working properly to prevent water build up. Open windows to facilitate proper air circulation and let some natural light in as well. This will help you air-dry the bathroom after every shower. You may also want to turn on fans or dehumidifiers for a few minutes to speed up the process. Don’t forget to dry shower curtains, doors or stalls, and towels. This can be done by keeping wet shower curtains closed until it dries, spreading towels in rods or rack, and removing water from glass surfaces with the help of a squeegee.
3. Give it a thorough clean once a week. Wiping and rinsing will not keep your bathroom germ and bacteria free. Clean surfaces and hidden nooks with warm soapy water, sponge, and disinfectant to get the job done properly. Don’t forget to wash accessories like shower curtains, bathroom mats, hand towels etc. You may also keep drains clean and clog-free by pouring home solutions like baking soda, white vinegar, and boiling water down the drain at least once a month.
4. Schedule maintenance check-up at least once a year. Water build-up and leaks can damage you property and cost you a lot in repairs. Keep an eye out for cracks and holes in caulks and grouts as well as leaks in fixture sealants and toilet base so you can address problems immediately. Have a professional check on plumbing and electrical features of your bathroom to keep them running efficiently.
5. De-clutter and Decorate. Just like any room in the house, the bathroom can also accumulate some clutter over time. Organize your bathroom with stylish racks, caddies, or storage and remove everything that doesn’t have a place in your bathroom. Change décor motifs as the season change and create a trendy and beautiful bathroom for family and house guests.